It is exciting to fly somewhere far away, but the long distances, cramped conditions, and stress of flying can often have a negative impact on your health.
When you are travelling by plane, you will be within small spaces with many people which increases the potential for catching an airborne illness. You don’t want feeling sick to ruin your holiday, so here are some ways that you can keep yourself healthy on your next plane ride:
- Use vitamins to boost your immune system before going on your trip. Try taking doses of Echinacea and Vitamin C which help you to ward off illnesses.
- Bring a bottle of water with you on the flight to keep yourself hydrated. It is easy to get dehydrated on a long flight, which can lead to fatigue, headaches, and lowered immune response.
- Try to avoid large amounts of alcohol or caffeinated drinks, which will dehydrate you even more.
- Bring a bag of healthy snacks with you. The airline might serve a meal, but if there are large delays you might end up without food for several hours, so it is good to have your own fuel to keep your energy up.
- Dress in layers. The temperature on the airplane is often too cold or too hot, and if you get chilled you will be more likely to feel ill afterwards. If you wear several different layers you can remove them when you need to and control your own temperature. If you will be sleeping on a long flight, be sure to ask for a blanket so that you don’t get chilled while you are asleep.
- Get lots of sleep. Studies have shown that sleep deprivation drastically lowers immune response, so make sure that you are well rested before your journey and try to catch some sleep on board if it is a long flight. Ear plugs and eye masks can help you fall asleep on a plane.
These are just a few things to remember which will help you arrive at your destination feeling healthy, refreshed, and ready to have a great time.